I don’t teach on Tuesdays. The best thing – I have no obligations all day. The worst thing – I have no obligations all day.

As wonderful as it is to have the luxury of time, I definitely function better with a structured schedule. It takes a lot of discipline to get up and start your day when you know you could laze around and take your time doing things. However, even though I may not have class to teach, I still have 100 other things on my list of things to-do, so I really should get up and at ’em early in the morning … but then, I actually have no obligations.

So this morning I was lying in bed at 5:40 a.m. trying to tempt myself to just ignore that long list and laze for the heck of it. I had all sorts of excuses lined up – you can run those errands tomorrow; you can stretch later; you can do a workout at home – just skip the gym.

I like being productive and active … nevertheless, this type of self-temptation (is that a phrase?) happens all the time.

Anyway. I managed to shove all those thoughts aside and get up and get dressed for the gym. Even once I was at the gym I told myself, if you’re tired, you can just take it easy. (This is the biggest drawback of not working with a personal trainer. You’ve got to make yourself go hard and push through the lazy thoughts.) [That being said, I totally think it’s ok to listen to your body and take it easy at the gym when you need to … the trick is to figure out when it is that you really need to take it easy vs. those days when you’re just being lazy.]

pre-workout selfie

I wasn’t doing to do deadlifts, but when I saw that there was nobody in the weights area yet (it was before 7 a.m.), I started to rack up my bar. I loaded up 40 kg on the bar (88 lbs.) and did a few reps. It felt light, so I went up to 50 kg (110 lbs.). That felt good. So I did my first set at that weight and then went up to 60 kg (132 lbs.) for my second set of 12 reps. It was challenging, but I got through it. I was surprised at how good I felt. All those hesitations earlier this morning about being tired and lazy and not feeling like it just disappeared.

final set of deadlifts at 60 kg

Shoulder presses, lat pulls, lunges, KB squats and high pulls, plus some core work … and then a cardio finisher on the cross-trainer. They all went really well and I was happy to have been able to increase my weights on pretty much all the lifts.

last few reps of the 10 kg shoulder presses were tough

still working on my lunges

Well whaddya know? I wouldn’t have thought I would have had such a good workout when I started off the day feeling a bit blah.

I’ve gone through this before and no doubt I’ll go through it again … but I guess it’s just part of the process. Anyway.

I was out of the gym by 8:45 a.m. and showered, fed, dressed, and at the mall before 10:00 a.m. so that I could run my errands. I got almost everything done and then it was back home to grade papers and prepare for tomorrow’s class.

the best part about getting to the mall early – you miss the crowds!

I was so happy that I had cooked enough food yesterday so that dinner was already prepped and ready to go. It definitely pays to prepare in advance!

cottage pie (recipe coming soon)

My final step count of the day:

14,000+ steps – yay!!

WLC Day 31 diary