Summer temperatures have been fleeting here in London. However, when the sun was out for 2 days in a row, I knew it was time to take advantage of the opportunity and make one of our favorite salads. The salad itself is simple, but there are a few steps to preparing it – a bit of baking, steaming, and frying. Still, it’s one of the household favorites!
2 cups mixed leaves (rocket, romaine, spinach, etc.), washed
1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
1 cup string beans, washed, trimmed, and cut in half
1 medium sweet potato, washed, peeled, and sliced into strips
2 tablespoons of pine nuts
2-3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
2 chicken breasts, skinless
1 1/2 tablespoons of wholegrain mustard
sea salt to taste
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Place the halved cherry tomatoes in a baking dish. Coat lightly with EVOO and a sprinkling of sea salt. Bake in the oven for 45 minutes – until slightly charred.
- At the same time, place the sweet potato strips in a baking dish and also coat lightly with EVOO. Sprinkle salt and paprika over the fries. Bake in the oven for 45 minutes until soft but slightly crisp.
- While the tomatoes and sweet potato strips are baking, steam the string beans.
- Pan fry the chicken breasts — heat a skillet and add 1 tablespoon of EVOO. Sprinkle a bit of salt on the chicken breast. Pan fry for 3 minutes on each side until golden brown. Check that the chicken is cooked all the way through.
- Once everything is cooked, it’s time to assemble the salad. Place the washed leaves in a salad bowl. Add the cherry tomatoes, string beans, and sweet potato strips. Place the chicken on top and garnish with pine nuts.
- Dressing: Mix 1 1/2 tablespoons of wholegrain mustard with the juice from the roasted cherry tomatoes. Add 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder and a dash of white pepper. Mix well. Dress your salad to taste.