I was getting ready to travel and I still had some leftovers in my fridge. What I really wanted was to be able to take my leftovers with me on my trip — but I wasn’t really sure how well my fish and vegetables plus brown rice bowl would travel … so I decided to convert them into burgers — and they were awesome!
This isn’t really a recipe as I kind of just threw everything together without measuring, but I thought I’d at least share the idea. They were perfect to take on my trip – they kept their shape, tasted good both hot and cold, and lasted for a few days.
fish and vegetable burgers
I cooked the fish and vegetables as per this recipe (ingredients and method are given).
I cooked the brown rice bowl as per this recipe (ingredients and method are given).
up to 2 cups of ground almonds – depends on the amount of leftovers
2-3 eggs – depends on how many patties you make
approx. 1 teaspoon each of salt, oregano, and garlic powder (add other spices to taste)
oil for frying
- Slightly warm the food to loosen up the juices.
- Add ground almonds to the mixture. The exact amount will depend on how much food you’ve got leftover. I added about 1/2 cup of ground almonds to my brown rice mixture and almost 1 cup to the fish mixture.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk 2 eggs. Add spices and seasonings to taste.
- shape the combined ingredients into patties.
- Heat a fry pan and add just enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan.
- Lightly coat each patty with the egg and spice mixture. Fry for about 3 minutes per side.
- Place cooked patties on a kitchen towel to absorb the excess oil.
brown rice and vegetable burgers